What is a Senior DevOps Engineer?
Senior DevOps engineers oversee the process of developing new features and writing new scripts for automation and streamlining existing operations and processes. They need to have an in-depth knowledge of many operating systems and be comfortable working with different languages such as Perl, Python, Groovy, Java and Bash. They usually have 4+ years of experience in DevOps engineering and can often have certificates in the some of the management tools they use. They need to be personable and good at project management, communication skills are a key component to this and ensures all team members contribute their part to any project.
What Skills does a Senior DevOps Engineer Need?
Senior DevOps engineers are usually required to have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering, as well as certificates in the some of the management tools may be necessary, depending on the employer. Other hard skills include knowledge of many coding techniques and software.
Senior DevOps Engineer Coding Tools & Skills
- OS Administration – Linux, Windows.
- Coding languages – PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby, Java, C++
- Cloud services – AWS, Google Cloud & Azure
- IT monitoring and management tools – Cloudflare, Datadog.
- Automation and management DevOps tools: Git/Github, Jenkins, Docker, Selenium, Ansible, Nagios, Kubernete.
Senior DevOps Engineer Soft skills:
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Team player
- Time management
What makes a Good Senior DevOps Engineer?
A good senior DevOps engineer needs to excel in the following areas to succeed:
- Have a customer-focused mindset – Keeping the customer in the forefront of your mind when developing automated services will ensure that a better service is created with fewer user-end issues.
- Be proactive – As DevOps aims to improve the collaboration and communication between development and IT departments, being proactive where you see room for improvement is crucial. A drive towards exploring new technologies and developments will ensure you stay ahead of the game.
- Never forget the Cloud– As the cloud provides DevOps a centralised platform to release code after testing, enables automation with CI and CD tools with easy security systems and monitorability, the cloud is invaluable to all operations. Clever use of the cloud will allow you to quickly streamline many processes and developments.
- A passion for automation – Automation allows a company to reduce the human component when it comes to developing, testing and deploying a new system. This allows developments to take much less time whilst improving reliability and reducing errors.
Salary Expectations for Senior DevOps Engineers
Senior DevOps Engineer – £80,000 – £100,000